- Ballard Institute & Museum of Puppetry (486-4605) (bimp.uconn.edu), will relocate soon to the new Storrs Center. Stay tuned!!!
- Community School of the Arts (486-1073) (csa.uconn.edu) offers a wide variety of classes in music, art and theater for children of all ages. Plus Art birthday parties & Scout classes. Call for a copy of the 2013/2014 program brochure.
- CT State Museum of Natural History & CT Archaeology Center (486-4460) (mnh.uconn.edu), features a multi-media exhibit, Human’s Nature: A Closer Look at the Relationship Between People and the Environment. The Museum is open Mon.-Fri..10am-4pm (closed Saturday and Sunday). Call for a copy of the Fall 2013 program brochure, which includes several fun and educational programs for children and their families.
- Gurleyville Gristmill (429-9671) or 429-9032) (joshuaslandtrust.org), owned and operated by Joshua’s Trust, is open Sundays 1-4pm through October 27.
- Husky Heritage Sports Museum (486-2240) (uconnalumni.com), in the UConn Alumni Center, brings alive remarkable images & stories of UConn’s winning teams, determined coaches & gifted student-athletes, and is open Mon.-Fri., 8am-5pm.
- Mansfield Historical Society (429-6575) (mansfieldct-history.org) is open Sat. and Sun. 1:30-4:30pm, until Sept. 29. Current exhibits include: Mansfield During the 1950s; The CT Soldiers’ Orphans’ Home; Fashion Accessories from the mid-1800s; and The Village of Gurleyville.
- Mansfield Parks and Recreation Dept. (429-3015) (mansfieldcc.com) has many classes, programs and activities for young children. Check the Fall 2013 brochure sent to every household for information about After-School Friends, after-school science programs, fee waivers for eligible Mansfield residents, recently-revised Mansfield parks and preserves brochures, kayak and other rentals, Friends of Mansfield Parks, Family Fun Nights, Snow Days activities and many other offerings!
- Mansfield Public Library (423-2501) (mansfieldpubliclibraryct.org) is open: Mon. & Wed. 10-5; Tues. & Th. 10-8; Fri. & Sat. 9-5. The library offers 3 drop-in program series for children: Toddler Time (ages birth-36 months with caregiver), Fridays 10:30am-12n, Sept. 6-Nov. 27 (but NOT Sept. 27); Family Storytime (all ages welcome, with caregiver), Saturdays 10:30-11:30am, Sept. 7-Dec. 28 (but NOT Sept. 28); Wonderful Wednesdays, stories, songs & simple crafts (all ages, with caregiver), 10:30-11:30am, Oct. 2-Dec. 11.
- Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum (486-2712) (uconnhuskies.com) opens in late Sept. Call or check the website for information about general skating dates and times and to check out skating lessons for ages 4 & up.
- Storrs Farmers Market (storrsfarmersmarket.org) (firstname.lastname@example.org), located in the north Mansfield Town Hall parking lot, is open 3-6pm Saturdays in Sept. & Oct., and through Nov. 23. Storrs Winter Market will be open Saturdays. Dec. 14 and 28 in the Buchanan Auditorium at the Mansfield Public Library from 3-5pm. EAT LOCAL!
- UConn College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Department of Animal Science (animalscience.uconn.edu) offers public access at certain times to the Animal Barns (wow!) & Dairy Bar (yum!). Check out the polo game schedule & download a brochure for young children.
- UConn Co-op (486-5027) (bookstore.uconn.edu). The General Books Dept. (which includes a large selection of children’s books) will be moving in late October to the new Storrs Center! Don’t miss the CT Children’s Book Fair Nov. 9 & 10 (see below). And watch for a visit from someone special from the North Pole in December!
- UConn EEB (=Ecology and Evolutionary Biology) Greenhouses (486-4052) (eeb.uconn.edu), on the UConn campus, house a huge collection of live plants from all over the world. Open to the public: Mon.-Fri., 8am-4pm.
- UConn Libraries (lib.uconn.edu/about/exhibits) offers special exhibits; check the website for what is appropriate for kids.
- William Benton Museum of Art (486-4520) (thebenton.org), on the UConn campus, is open Tues.-Fri., 12n-4:30pm and Sat. & Sun., 1-4:30pm (but closed from time to time). Check the website for exhibits and events that might be of interest to and appropriate for kids, especially the colorful mola display and the related Oct. 5 program!
For more information about the events listed in this calendar, check the following sources:
CANR = College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (UConn) (486-2413) (animalscience.uconn.edu/calendar.php)
CSA = Community School of the Arts (UConn) (486-1073) (csa.uconn.edu)
CSMNH = CT State Museum of Natural History & CT Archaeology Center (UConn) (486-4460) (mnh.uconn.edu)
EBM = East Brook Mall (456-3066) (eastbrookmallct.com)
EOS = E.O.Smith High School (487-0877) (eosmith.org)
GES = Goodwin Elementary School
JCPA = Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts (UConn) (486-4226) ( jorgensen.uconn.edu)
J-KNECT = J-Kids of Northeast Connecticut (450-0435)
JT = Joshua’s Trust (429-9032) (joshuaslandtrust.org)
MDP = Mansfield Downtown Partnership (429-2740) (email@example.com)
MMS = Mansfield Middle School (429-9341)
MPL = Mansfield Public Library (423-2501) (mansfieldpubliclibraryct.org)
MPRD = Mansfield Parks and Recreation Department (429-3015) (mansfieldcc.com)
MSC = Mansfield Senior Center (429-0262) (mansfieldct.org)
Many of the following programs require advance registration and/or fees. Call ahead!
Fee waivers are available to eligible Mansfield residents for most Mansfield Parks and Recreation Department programs (429-3015). Scholarships may be available for other fee-based programs listed here.
Sept. 9 (Mon.), 4:30-6:30pm — Meet the Treblemakers. CSA’s choral groups for grades 2-8 @ EOS HS choral room (CSA)
Sept. 10 (Tues.), 4-7pm – CSA Open House: check out a variety of arts programs @ Community School of the Arts (CSA)
Sept. 12 (Thurs.), 5:30pm – East Brook Mall Cruise Night: come see cool, classic, pre-1983 cars, trucks & motorcycles! (EBM)
Sept. 20 (Fri.), 4:30-7:30pm — The Big Whale Bash @ Goodwin Elementary School; lots of fun & games & food! (429-6316)
Sept. 21 (Sat.), 10am-12n — Stream Insects and Stream Health; hands-on!!! Pomfret location (age 5 + w/adult) (CSMNH)
Sept. 21 (Sat.), 1-3pm – Explore the Albert E. Moss Forest, Wildflower & Wildlife Sanctuary (rec. 5+ w/adult) (MPRD)
Sept. 22 (Sun.), 12n – 2012 Celebrate Mansfield Parade, beginning @ the Storrs Post Office; puppets, bikes, floats PLUS! (MDP)
Sept. 22 (Sun.), 12n-5pm — 10th Annual Festival on the Green; music, food and LOTS of fun for the whole family! (MDP)
Sept. 27 (Fri.), 7-9pm – Star Party; stargazing & exploration @ UConn’s Planetarium & Observatory; WOW! (MPRD)
Sept. 28 (Sat.), 9am-3pm – Southeast School PTO Fall Carnival & Silent Auction; FUN for all! (423-1611)
Sept. 28 (Sat.), 9am-4pm – Friends of the Mansfield Library Book Sale; LOTS of books (etc.) for all ages!!! (MPL)
Sept. 28 (Sat.), 2-7pm — Pirate Party! Crafts, games & more for grades K-4. Wear a costume! (MPRD)
Sept. 29 (Sun.), 9am-3pm – Friends of the Mansfield Library Book Sale; LOTS of books (etc.) for all ages!!! (MPL)
Sept. 29 (Sun.), 11am-4pm – UConn Cornucopia Festival; LOTS of fun for the whole family!!! (CANR)
WALKTOBER EVENTS in MANSFIELD
For a complete listing of Walking Weekends events in eastern CT & contiguous southern MA, see the complete WALKTOBER brochure at: thelastgreenvalley.org (1-866-363-7226)
Oct. 1-31 – Family Activities @ Cedar Ledge Tree Farm: tractor ride; haybale maze; mulch mtn. slide & more (423-5690)
Oct. 12 (Sat.), 10am – Playing Games in the Woods; fun for the whole family @ Dunhamtown Forest; prizes, too! (429-6257)
Oct. 16 (Wed.), 9:30am & 11:30am; Oct. 19 (Sat.), 12n — Historical Gurleyville Gristmill Tour (429-1524)
Oct. 16 (Wed.), 10:30am; Oct. 19 (Sat.), 1:30pm — Historical Gurleyville Village Walking Tour; 1 hr., 1 mile (429-6027)
Oct. 19 (Sat.), 9am — Farm, Forest and Adventure; see a small working farm + recreational use of forestland (805-3276)
Oct. 19 (Sat.), 10am-4pm — Thames Valley Trout Unltd Fly-Fishing in the Schools Program @ Mansfield Hollow SP (271-5494)
Oct. 20 (Sun.), 9am — Climbtober, Storrs, CT; enjoy 10% discount at The Advenure Park at Storrs! (946-0606)
Oct. 20 (Sun.), 1pm — Discover Schoolhouse Brook Park, Mansfield’s first town park; 2 hrs., 2 miles (429-6257)
Oct. 5 (Sat.), 9am-2pm — MSCA Crafts and Collectibles Fair @ the Mansfield Senior Center; something for everyone! (MSC)
Oct. 5 (Sat.) & 7 (Sun.), 10am-5pm – Hammonasset Festival: Music, Native Skills, Nature; something for all ages! (CSMNH)
Oct. 5 (Sat.), 2-3:30pm — Create your own colorful mola (ages 6-12) or draw one (5 & under) (register by Oct. 4) (WBMA)
Oct. 6 (Sun.), all day — Dressage Home (Horse) Show @ Horsebarn Hill Arena, UConn (CANR)
Oct. 6 (Sun.), 12n-6pm – Mansfield Lions Annual Fall Festival @ Holiday Hill; LOTS of fun & food for everyone! (423-1375)
Oct. 6 (Sun.), 1-2pm – UConn’s annual Homecoming Parade ending @ Fairfield Way; floats & bands & horses! (423-3423)
Oct. 6 (Sun.), 3pm — Fundraiser concert for all ages by Rani Arbo & Daisy Mayhem @ Knowlton Hall, Ashford (JT)
Oct. 12 (Sat.), 10am-12n – Archaeology Field Workshop — Learning the Basics; hands on with a pro!!! (10+ w/adult) (CSMNH)
Oct. 13 (Sun.), 2pm – Enchantment Theatre Company presents Aladdin & Other Enchangting Tales (5+ w/adult) (JCPA)
Oct. 15 (Tues.), 7:30am-5:30pm – Recreation Rescue: fun for grades K-8 @ MMS + field trip! (must pre-register) (MPRD)
Oct. 15 (Tues.), 2pm — Local storyteller Carolyn Stearns presents “A Harvest of Stories” (rec. for ages 5 & up) (MPL)
Oct. 19 (Sat.), 10am-4pm – Archaeology Fair in Wethersfield: talk with real archaeologists! handle artifacts! (all ages) (CSMNH)
Oct. 19 (Sat.), 2-7pm — Hallowee-Bit Early (Halloween)! Fun & games for grades K-4. Wear a costume! (MPRD)
Oct. 19 (Sat.), 4pm — Community School of the Arts Suzuki Program Halloween Play-in @ the Mansfield Library (MPL) (CSA)
Oct. 20 (Sun.), 11am — Jewish-themed nature walk, lunch & fun for the whole family @ Oak Grove Mont. School (J-KNECT)
Oct. 22 (Tues.), 7-8:30pm – Fall Country Dance @ Mansfield Middle School; fiddlers & callers; y’all come! (MMS)
Oct. 25 (Fri.) — Drill Team Fun Horse Show in Horsebarn Hill Arena ; watch horses and riders go through their paces (CANR)
Oct. 25 (Fri.), 6-7:30pm – Halloween Party & Magic Show; spooky (but not too spooky) fun for the whole family (MPL)
Oct. 25 (Fri.), 7:30pm – E.O. Smith High School Drama Club presents Still Life with Iris in the high school auditorium (EOS)
Oct. 26 (Sat.), 8am-3:30pm — 84th UConn Little International Livestock, Horse & Poultry Show @ RH Arena, UConn (CANR)
Oct. 26 (Sat.), 10am-12n — Connecticut’s Notable Trees; guided tour of the UConn campus’ unusual trees (8+ w/adult) (CSMNH)
Oct. 26 (Sat.), 12n-2pm – “Malloween” at the East Brook Mall; b-o-o-o-! and fun for all ages (EBM)
Oct. 26 (Sat.), 5-6:30pm – Annual Halloween Party & Trick-A-Trunk @ the Community Center! (all ages w/adult) (MPRD)
Oct. 26 (Sat.), 7:30pm – E.O. Smith High School Drama Club presents Still Life with Iris in the high school auditorium (EOS)
Oct. 27 (Sun.), 1-4pm – Hibernation Festival @ Oak Grove Montessori School: entertainment; food; fun activities! (456-1031)
Oct. 27 (Sun.), 1:30pm – E.O. Smith High School Drama Club presents Still Life with Iris in the high school auditorium (EOS)
Nov. 2 (Sat.), 10am-12n — Scientific Illustration: Flora of Fall and Winter; observe and draw specimens! (8+ w/adult) (CSMNH)
Nov. 9 (Sat.), 10-11:30am — Cedar Hill Cemetery & the Civil War; tour this historical Hartford cemetery (8+ w/adult) (CSMNH)
Nov. 9 (Sat), 10am-5pm – 22nd Annual CT Children’s Book Fair: activities, storytelling, books! (bookfair.uconn.edu)
Nov. 10 (Sun.), 9am-4pm – Northeast Rabbit Growers Rabbit Show in Ratcliffe Hicks Arena, UConn (CANR)
Nov. 10 (Sun.), 10am-5pm — 22nd Annual CT Children’s Book Fair: activities, storytelling, books! (bookfair.uconn.edu)
Nov. 11 (Mon.), 8am-c. 8pm — Bus trip to Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular in NYC (register by Oct. 25) (MPRD)
Nov. 12 (Tues.), 7:30am-5:30pm — Recreation Rescue: fun for grades K-8 @ MMS + field trip! (must pre-register) (MPRD)
Nov. 16 (Sat.), 8am-c. 8pm – Bus trip to NYC’s Metropolitan Museum of Art; fascinating exhibits for all ages! (CSMNH)
Nov. 16 (Sat.), 10:30am – Tellabration Storytelling Program @ the Mansfield Library (all ages welcome) (MPL)
Nov. 16 (Sat.), 2-7pm — Pajama Party! Crafts, games & more for grades K-4. Wear your favorite pajama “costume”! (MPRD)
Nov. 17 (Sun.), 2pm – Prokofiev’s Peter and the Wolf, a UConn Puppet Arts Production. (5+ w/adult) (JCPA)
Nov. 20 (Wed.), 7pm – E.O. Smith H. S. Choral Ensembles concert in the high school auditorium (EOS)
Nov. 23 (Sat.), all day — Hunt Seat Home (Horse) Show in Horsebarn Hill Arena, UConn (CANR)
Nov. 28 (Th.), 5am-c. 4pm — Bus trip to see Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City (register by Nov. 14) (MPRD)
Nov. 29 (Fri.), 11am – Santa arrives at the East Brook Mall: fun for the whole family! (EBM)
Dec. 7 (Sat.), 7am-c.10:30pm – Bus trip to New York City where you spend the day on your own (register by Nov. 16) (MPRD)
Dec. 7 (Sat.), 1pm — Do you live in a food desert? How many calories Can $1 get you? Illustrated talk (8+ w/adult) (CSMNH)
Dec. 7 (Sat.), 8pm – Holiday Boston Pops concert & celebration with sing-alongs & Jolly Old St. Nick (all ages!) (JCPA)
Dec. 7 (Sat.), 9am -1pm – Holiday Bazaar @ the Mansfield Senior Center; toys, books, food, crafts, holiday items! (MSC)
Dec. 11 (Wed.), 7pm – Mansfield Middle School Winter Band concert @ MMS auditorium (MMS)
Dec. 13 (Fri.), 7pm – E.O. Smith H.S. Chorus & Chamber Orchestra Messiah Sing concert @ von der Mehden, UConn (EOS)
Dec. 14 (Sat.), 10am-2pm — Holiday Crafts, Cookies & More @ the Community Center for grades K-4. (MPRD)
Dec. 18 (Wed.), 6:30pm – Mansfield Middle School Winter Orchestra and Choral concerts @ MMS auditorium (MMS)
Dec. 18 (Wed.), 7pm – E.O. Smith H.S. Club Choirs, Jazz, Chamber Music concert @ von der Mehden, UConn (EOS)
Family Fun in Mansfield is compiled by Becky Lehmann for Mansfield Advocates for Children (MAC). Please contact her (423-5807; firstname.lastname@example.org) if you wish to suggest items for future editions. Publication of Family Fun in Mansfield is supported by a grant from the William Caspar Graustein Memorial Foundation